Freelance Graphic Designer
Freethink is a media publisher telling stories from the frontiers of our rapidly-changing world. We release articles and videos profiling innovators, entrepreneurs, and activists who are thinking differently and making a difference.
Our core teams in New York City, Los Angeles, and DC are joined by a growing network of directors, editors, composers, designers, journalists, developers and more all around the world. Together, we’re building the kind of company we all want to work for: curious, experimental, and ambitious.
About the Role
At Freethink we see graphic design as visual storytelling that engages, informs, and inspires. We are looking for a highly creative graphic designer who can help shape the day to day personality of Freethink on the web and on social media by creating art packages that represent our daily articles and videos.
Our ideal candidate will have a thorough understanding of creating engaging and high-performing artwork for a variety of social media platforms, with the ability to apply a consistent voice, personality, and aesthetic across multiple topic focuses. This designer must be able to accommodate tight turnaround times for deliverables. Collaborating with multiple teams at our company, the graphic designer should be able to identify and pull out the most engaging themes from a story or video and communicate them in a cohesive, visually appealing way.
The role is currently part time, ranging from 20-30 hours per week, with the potential for full time.
If you think you have what it takes to bring ideas to life with visual impact, we want to hear from you.
Core Roles & Responsibilities
- Design thumbnail packages that clearly communicate our articles and videos across our website and social platforms
- Work with publishing team to continuously optimize video and article thumbnails
- Work on a wide range of projects and media, using various computer software to visualize and develop innovative graphic designs that meet business goals
- Obtain input from management, ensuring designs meet organizational standards and brand expectations, express ideas accurately, and represent Freethink appropriately
- Work independently and cooperatively on multiple projects with marketing team, meeting deadlines and budget constraints
- Update and maintain internal databases of designs
- Translate strategic direction into high-quality design within an established brand identity
- Develop concepts by hand or with software, and execute original content determining ideal usage of color, text, font style, imagery, and layout
Qualifications & Characteristics
- 1+ years professional graphic design for a media company or agency
- Expert in Adobe Photoshop and XD
- Passion for visual storytelling
- Ability to juggle multiple projects in fast-paced setting
- Talent for identifying great visual content that performs well online
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to be proactive
- Positive, can-do attitude
- Openness to feedback and challenge
- A desire for continuous learning and improvement
To apply, please include:
- Cover letter
- Portfolio pdf or link to online portfolio
You may submit your application to email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you!