This is an incredible time to be alive. We’ve got flying cars and rockets to Mars, robot legs and bionic arms. We’re editing genes, reading minds and curing the blind. We’re growing meat in the lab and mining money on laptops. We’ve already connected over half the world in a giant global network, and we’re working on the other half.
But whereas other outlets get mired in cynicism, we don’t just want to report on the ways the world is broken, we want to profile the people doing something about it. Our stories bring you to the frontlines of change, profiling the innovators, entrepreneurs, and activists who are thinking differently and making a difference. Freethink is steadfastly committed to bringing our audience to the frontiers of our rapidly-changing world. And we want you to join us.
About the Role
Freethink is seeking a full-time staff writer to report on stories that matter and profile the people and ideas that are reshaping the world around us for the better. You will be encouraged to pursue a variety of original stories as well as contributing to story packages built around marquee video content. Your beat will be flexible but experience writing feature stories and a passion for science and technology is a plus.
Core Roles and Responsibilities
- Pitch original stories on weekly basis
- Find fresh and engaging angles that offer new insights to our readers
- Ability to write and file frequently, in a variety of formats ranging from short pieces to longer features.
- Ability to pursue stories aggressively which includes making phone calls and asking tough questions
- Ability to learn from and work with the editors to make strong, engaging, and impactful content
Qualifications and Characteristics
- Passion for journalism and storytelling
- Experience covering the science & technology beat or entrepreneurship beat a plus
- Ability to juggle multiple projects in fast-paced setting
- Talent for identifying great stories that perform well online
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to be proactive
- Positive, can-do attitude
- Openness to feedback and challenge
- A desire for continuous learning and improvement
To apply, email Amanda ([email protected]). Please include:
- 3 examples of stories you have written
- A 100-150 word pitch for a piece that you think would be a great Freethink story
- 2-3 references from previous editors you've worked with
At Freethink we tell stories about our changing world, for people who want to have a hand in changing it. From aerospace engineers in the Mojave Desert to entrepreneurs in South America’s biggest slum, our videos give you an intimate look at not only what they’re doing but also why they’re doing it, the obstacles they face, and what motivates them to keep driving forward. We hope that after you watch these stories, you’ll come away with insights and inspiration you can use to make a difference in your own way.
Our core teams in New York City, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and DC are joined by a growing network of directors, editors, composers, designers, journalists, developers and more all around the world. Together, we’re building the kind of company we all want to work for: curious, experimental, and ambitious.