This is an incredible time to be alive. We’ve got flying cars and rockets to Mars, robot legs and bionic arms. We’re editing genes, reading minds and curing the blind. We’re growing meat in the lab and mining money on laptops. We’ve already connected over half the world in a giant global network, and we’re working on the other half.
But whereas other outlets get mired in cynicism, we don’t just want to report on the ways the world is broken, we want to profile the people doing something about it. Our stories bring you to the frontlines of change, profiling the innovators, entrepreneurs, and activists who are thinking differently and making a difference. Freethink is steadfastly committed to bringing our audience to the frontiers of our rapidly-changing world. And we want you to join us.
About the Role
We are looking for an experienced editor that is passionate about telling great stories that perform well online. The ideal candidate is familiar with how to identify and chase down a good story, has a passion for guiding and supporting writers to do their best work, and has relationships with a diverse and talented stable of freelance writers and photographers that can help bring great stories to life. You would collaborate with the Executive Editor to develop and assign stories across our verticals and to build story packages to supplement marquee video releases.
Core Roles and Responsibilities
- Work with the editorial team and network of freelance talent to develop stories
- Edit stories from internal and freelance talent
- Review performance of written content and use those insights to help shape our broader editorial strategy and develop
new and exciting content formats
Qualifications and Characteristics
-Passion for journalism and storytelling
- Experience covering the science & technology beat or entrepreneurship beat a plus
- Ability to juggle multiple projects in fast-paced setting
- 3+ years of experience editing and managing writers
- Talent for identifying great stories that perform well online
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to be proactive
- Positive, can-do attitude
- Openness to feedback and challenge
- A desire for continuous learning and improvement
To apply, email Amanda (amanda@freethink). Please include:
- 3 examples of stories you have written
- A 100-150 word pitch for a piece that you think would be a great Freethink story
- 2-3 references from previous editors you've worked with
At Freethink we tell stories about our changing world, for people who want to have a hand in changing it. From aerospace engineers in the Mojave Desert to entrepreneurs in South America’s biggest slum, our videos give you an intimate look at not only what they’re doing but also why they’re doing it, the obstacles they face, and what motivates them to keep driving forward. We hope that after you watch these stories, you’ll come away with insights and inspiration you can use to make a difference in your own way.
Our core teams in New York City, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and DC are joined by a growing network of directors, editors, composers, designers, journalists, developers and more all around the world. Together, we’re building the kind of company we all want to work for: curious, experimental, and ambitious.