Got someone in your life that’s perennially hard to shop for? Consider giving them the gift of new ideas. As part of making Hard Reset, we encounter a ton of fascinating, boundary-pushing books every year — some of which we cover on Freethink, while others we read in our free time.
This holiday season we’ve compiled a list of ten of our favorite recent books, from Tony Fadell’s Build to Adrian Sikowski’s Children of Time. Check out our video to see which books made the list.
- What We Owe the Future by William MacAskill – $26.49
- Build: An Unorthodox Guide to Making Things Worth Making by Tony Fadell – $22.99
- Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky – $12.59
- What If? 2: Additional Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions by Randall Munroe – $18.57
- My Favorite Thing Is Monsters by Emil Farris – $31.99
- How Minds Change: The Surprising Science of Belief, Opinion, and Persuasion by David McRaney – $18.39
- The Life-Changing Manga of Tidying Up: A Magical Story (The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up) by Marie Kondō – $14.99
- Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari – $22.49
- A Fine Mess: A Global Quest for a Simpler, Fairer, and More Efficient Tax System by T.R. Reid – $15.87
- The Man from the Future: The Visionary Life of John von Neumann by Ananyo Bhattacharya – $19.69
Freethink is not using affiliate links on the products in this gift guide and is not being paid by any of the brands featured.
Giveaway! How to win one of the Hard Reset approved books:
To win one of these books, leave a comment about which one you’d like to give to someone, and why you think it’s something they’d love. Alternatively, tell us about a different book that you think people should check out, and why you think it’s something that would help them rethink something from the ground up. We’ll pick our five favorites from the top comments, and we’ll send those commenters a copy of one of these great books. Winner will be announced here on December 16th.
About the Hard Reset Gift Guide:
As we research the Hard Reset series, we see a lot of amazing technologies and products — some we feature on the show, some we don’t. But as we’re getting to the end of the year, and a lot of folks are buying gifts for each other, we thought it would be helpful to put together a gift guide.
Each of these products has been selected because we think, like all the Hard Reset topics we cover, they invite you to re-think something in your life from the ground up. This show will hopefully give you some ideas for gifts you can give your loved ones, and they’ll definitely be conversation starters.